Friday, April 3, 2009

Home schooling, I am happy to say, is not a new concept for me. While my sister lives some distance away, during visits and conversations, I was privy to the rhythms of her household. Interestingly enough, I was a bit overwhelmed by how much my sister could selflessly accomplish in one day, all with a smile on her face. Before Sage was born, I thought she was quite mad. Being independently minded, being a lover of freedom, her choices threw me for a loop. But my sister loved her life. You could feel it in her every action. Yes, she got tired at times, yes, she grumbled at times, but she created her heaven around herself. Her family was and is happy. My sister, her choices and the happiness of her family, while at the time seeming foreign to any experience I'd like to have, left an impression on me that later was a huge component of the ease of making my decision to home school.

Unschooling however, was another matter. One completely foreign to me, and upon my first hearing about it, a crazy cockamaimy concept. So I completely understand, when I *try* to explain to people how I intend to facilitate learning with Sage, why people are uncomfortable with it. I either get that look of bafflement, the look that I had finally gone off my rocker, or a flurry of all the questions that I once had. For me, and even perhaps more seasoned unschoolers (as some have expressed to me) trying to explain unschooling to someone who is unfamiliar, is like trying to teach a Western doctor about the conceptual merits of Eastern Medicine; Challenging, but possible, if they are open to learning. Since I am still in the budding stages of this path, I've learned to tell when a person is really interested in learning more about the concept (with genuine questions and concerns that they are opening to *real disscussion*) or when a person does not have any room for understanding. Often working from a place of fear, and doing their best to instill it in me, so that I may see the light and change my ways. The way they ask, their body language and open or close ended responses, all give away their current ability to comprehend a complete paradigm shift about parenting and learning. I've learned, when not to engage and when engaging produces a beautiful and healthy conversation where learning takes place on both sides.

In my experience of discovery about unschooling or lifeschooling (the term I prefer), the definition can seem a bit muddled and confusing to those just taking interest. For me, it begins with a balanced mixture of personal experience, research and faith. The philosophy consists of the belief that every child has within them the innate ability to discover and follow their own path, learning of their passions along the way and picking up the tools necessary to support them on their journeys. It is the amazing job of the lifeschooling parent to provide an ecclectic, stimulating, open and nurturing environment for the child to explore. Often this means simply getting out of the way of your childs learning. I don't recall where I heard this analogy, but lifeschooling is akin to growing tomatoes. One plants seeds in an environment of nourishing soils, sees to it that said plant is getting the proper nutrients and water and watches in amazement while it grows. Allowing nature to do what it does...naturally.

There will be times when you will have to protect the bud from certain elemental forces. But it is important to remember to first do no harm. Often, in the name of safety, freedoms are lost. Benjamin Franklin once said, (paraphrased),Those who are willing to give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither. The balance between freedom and safety takes a keen eye. ( This is such an important topic, I will probably post more about this later.) It requires true presence of mind. It requires the promise and willingness to be consistent with introspection. It is necessary to be willing to face all fear honestly. And as time progresses, it will become a much more natural way of being. I am aware that this is a challenging concept to embody (From personal experience.) Fear is a powerful force, look at the last eight years in our country. But as our civilization progresses,it is essential that we ask ourselves what we want the world to look like for our children.

By no means does lifeschooling imply that I can go eat bonbons while Sage does who knows what. On the contrary, One must be very present, knowing when to encourage and when to step back and knowing when your own *stuff* is clouding your ability to do so. One must have faith (and a love of being with your children) in order to lifeschool. For me, the choice to unschool is a political, social and spiritual one. The very act of unschooling is no less than revolutionary. A revolutionary act is by definition radically new or innovative and outside or beyond established procedure and/or principles(dictionary.com.) But conceptually, lifeschooling stems from the conviction that we can do better for and by our children. It rests on the belief that humanity can cultivate a culture of love, honor and respect for itself the world and beyond. It rests on Faith.

1 comment:

  1. Hey hun! I'm so glad that you have blog!

    This sounds really interesting. I've never heard of lifeschooling before. You're doing a combination of both, yes? I hope that you write more about it, I'd like to know how it's working out for you.

    Frankly, I wish that I had a little lifeschooling myself... especially in the financial responsibility area. Let's face it, you do get those lessons/habits first and foremost from your parents. Good or bad :) Give the Lion a hug for me!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete